InternationalMigrationNationalnewsPolitics

Matteo Salvini: Italy should “take the lead” in Libya

The Address | Benghazi – Libya

LIBYA – Matteo Salvini, the Italian Deputy Prime Minister, and Interior Minister, said on Monday that his country should be at the lead of countries supporting the proposed Presidential Council and the “internationally recognized bodies in Libya”.

Salvini’s remarks came at a time when Tripoli is witnessing bloody clashes that have continued for eight days, killing more than 41 people and wounding 128 others, and eight people went missing.

Salvini told reporters that Italy was ready to provide “maximum support” to the recognized authorities in Libya. He also warned of a “great danger” in the event of continued clashes in Tripoli, calling parties to the clashes to seek peace and stability and stop working for personal interests.

The Italian minister stressed the need for his country to be at the forefront of the advocates of truce in the Mediterranean region in general.

It is noteworthy that the Italian government expressed several times its refusal to holding elections in Libya against the agreement reached by Libya rival leaders in Paris last May.

https://www.addresslibya.co/en/archives/31230

Last month, the Italian Ambassador to Libya Giuseppe Perrone said in a televised interview that Italy does not want elections in Libya at any cost, which sparked angry protests in several Libyan cities denouncing the ambassador televised remarks. Italian flag was burned in such protests in Tripoli, Benghazi, Sebha, and Sabratha.

https://www.addresslibya.co/en/archives/31428

One of the protests organized by the “Youth from Tripoli” movement have burned 1911 Italian flags in Tripoli in reference to the colonial history of Rome in Libya.

Youth From Tripoli Preparing To Burn 1911 Italian Flag In Friday Demonstrations

Tags

Related Articles

Close