At least four people were killed and 10 kidnapped when ISIS militants attacked the town south of Jufra end of last month.
The October 29 raid on al-Fuqaha lasted several hours, during which the insurgents set local government and security offices on fire, and took the 10 captives.
A Fuqaha official told Asharq Al-Awsat that the terrorist organization has opened channels of communication with the town’s residents to urge them into pleading armed forces to release two of its militants in exchange for freeing the 10 captives.
The official, who refused to be identified because he was not authorized to speak to the press, said the residents informed the army about the militants’ willingness to negotiate.
“The residents were relieved to know that their loved-ones were alive,” but were concerned that the organization would harm them if its demands were not met, said the official.
ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack, saying it came as part of a search operation for “wanted” citizens and soldiers as revenge because some town youths had helped the Libyan National Army (LNA), led by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, catch two local militant leaders.
ISIS hasn’t gone out of Libya completely. Many militants have retreated to desert areas in the country’s south, where they are attempting to regroup.