Internationalnews

Turkey promises “firm measures” following seizure of weapons in a Libyan port

The Address | Benghazi – Libya

TRIPOLI – Turkey’s Foreign Minister, Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu, pledged on Saturday in Tripoli an investigation and “firm measures” after the seizure this week in the port of Khoms of two containers of arms and ammunition from Turkey.

During a joint press conference with Foreign Minister of the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA), Mohamed Taher Siala, the Turkish minister said that his country “will take firm action on this”.

“We are starting an investigation to determine how the weapons were loaded into the containers and how they entered Libya,” said Çavuşoğlu.

Çavuşoğlu had agreed to a joint investigation into the indent following his meeting with chairman of the Presidential Council of the Tripoli-based government, Fayez Al-Sarraj, earlier on Saturday.

Customs members of the port of Khoms seized last Tuesday a container coming from Turkey loaded with weapons and ammunition, including was 3,000 9-mm guns, 120 Beretta guns, 400 hunting rifles and 2.3 million bullets.

The General Command of the Libyan National Army (LNA) called on the United Nations Security Council to investigate the incident which constitutes a violation of the Security Council’s resolutions.

https://www.addresslibya.co/en/archives/38364

Tags

Related Articles

Close