Nationalnews

Muscat: Embassy in Tripoli will open in a new building “as soon as it’s safe to do so”

The Address | Benghazi – Libya

VALLETTA – Maltese Prime Minister, Joseph Muscat, stated on Monday that his country’s embassy in Tripoli “would be opened in a new building as soon as it was safe to do so.”

Muscat was speaking to Parliament regarding the migration crisis in the Mediterranean before he addressed his government’s cooperation with Libya on the issue and bilateral relations.

He said it was not feasible to continue to house the embassy in the current government-owned building, because of security concerns.

However, an alternative building had been identified to serve, at least, as a temporary embassy.

He observed that in the past the government had already set a date for the embassy’s reopening, but it was thwarted on the very day the decision was taken because of a major blast in the Libyan capital

He said that Air Malta and the Tourism Ministry were also considering a reopening of Air Malta’s service between Tripoli and Malta, but again, this depended on security arrangements and other considerations, such as insurance.

Tags

Related Articles

Close