InternationalNationalnews

Filipinos in Libya advised to take precautions as fighting continues south of Tripoli

The Address | Benghazi – Libya

TRIPOLI – After two days of clashes between rival militias near Tripoli that left 10 people dead and 41 wounded, the Philippine government on Friday urged some 1,800 Filipinos in the Libyan capital to take the necessary precautions and continue monitoring the situation in the conflict-stricken country.

Fierce fighting erupted Wednesday in an area some 50 kilometers south of Tripoli in the district of Qasir Bin Ghashir as military build-up continued in the area.

Philippine Embassy Chargé d’Affaires Mardomel Melicor said Filipinos in the Qasir Ben Ghashir, Wadi Al Rabea, Tariq Matar, Esbea and adjoining districts in Tripoli are advised to move to safer areas far from the scene of the clashes.

“Those in other areas of Tripoli are advised to monitor the situation closely, stay indoors, avoid unnecessary movements, and prepare to move to safer ground should the fighting spill over to their location,” the Department of Foreign Affairs said in a statement.

Reports emanating from Libya said the latest resurgence of violence saw the Tripoli Protection Force, an alliance of militias from the city, pitted against the Seventh Brigade group from the town of Tarhuna.

Between late August and September last year, the Libyan capital was plagued by militia clashes that killed at least 117 people and wounded more than 400.

Tags

Related Articles

Close