Nationalnews

(DETAILED) AFRICOM denies conducting airstrike in Ubari yesterday

The Address | Benghazi – Libya

UBARI – The United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) denied, in a statement to The Address, that it carried out an airstrike against al-Qaeda fighters in the town of Ubari yesterday.

“U.S. Africa Command was not involved in the reported raid of an al-Qaeda site in Ubari, Libya, Wednesday, February 13, 2019.” said Becky Farmer, AFRICOM’s Media Relations Officer, in a statement to The Address.

“U.S. Africa Command has not conducted any airstrikes in Libya in 2019.” she added.

The spokesperson for Fayez al-Sarraj, head of the Presidency Council of the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA), said in a statement late on Wednesday that a site with a number of al-Qaeda members in Ubari was “raided” but gave no details.

“This joint work between the Presidency Council of the Government of National Accord and the US Government coincided with the meeting of US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Foreign Minister Mohamed Siala at the Global Coalition To Defeat Islamic State meeting last week”, spokesperson Mohamed El-Sallak said in the statement.

Tags

Related Articles

Close