Nationalnews

NOC says it’s in contact with LNA over El-Sharara oilfield

The Address | Benghazi – Libya

TRIPOLI – Chairman of the Tripoli-based National Oil Corporation (NOC), Mustafa Sanalla, said on Sunday that production at El-Sharara oilfield will not resume at the moment due to presence of militia remnants in the area.

“What is important to the National Oil Corporation in this case is the protection of its workers,” Sanalla stressed, “this is our responsibility before the law.”

Speaking during a televised statement, Sanalla said that NOC is in contact with the General Command of the Libyan National Army (LNA), which secured the oilfield in February 6th.

“There is contact between the relevant departments of the NOC and the General Command of LNA. We informed them of the presence of armed groups and gave them copies of arrest warrants issued by the Office of the Libyan Attorney General,” said Sanalla.

Sanalla also talked about the presence of “civilian groups” as well as a group of former members of Petroleum Facilities Guards (PFG). He said that these groups have engaged in “acts of violence” and “terrorized” workers.

He said that NOC has all sorts of evidence against these groups and presented these evidence to the Office of the Libyan Attorney General.

NOC declared force majeure in El-Sharara oilfield in December last year after protesters backed by a local unit of the Petroleum Facilities Guards (PFG) shut down the oilfield.

LNA announced earlier this month that its forces secured the oilfield and urged NOC to lift the state of force majeure.

Tags

Related Articles

Close