Internationalnews

Mozambique cyclone claims more victims as death toll exceeds 400

The Address | Benghazi – Libya

BEIRA – The number of people killed in Mozambique after a cyclone tore through southern Africa and triggered devastating floods has risen to more than 400, a government minister said on Saturday, as the United Nations warned of the risk of further flooding.

Cyclone Idai lashed the Mozambican port city of Beira with winds of up to 170 km per hour (105 miles per hour) last week, then moved inland to Zimbabwe and Malawi, flattening buildings and putting the lives of millions at risk.

“The situation is getting better, still critical, but it’s getting better,” Land and Environment Minister Celso Correia said, adding that it was becoming easier to work on the ground.

“But unfortunately the number of dead is increasing, we have now 417 people who have lost their lives,” he said.

The floods have left thousands of people scrambling for shelter, food and water.

Tags

Related Articles

Close