The Address | Benghazi – Libya
ROME – Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte told the House of Representatives in Rome on Thursday that he had met with an envoy from the General Commander of the Libyan National Army (LNA) Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar a few hours before the meeting and discussed with him the latest developments in Tripoli.
Conte did not specify the identity of the envoy who met him or the content of the talks, but told the deputies “in Libya there is a real risk of a humanitarian crisis that must be avoided quickly, the chaos shows no signs of decline.”
“It is urgent to work for a ceasefire, preserve Tripoli’s safety and stability in the rest of the territory,” Conti warned.
“Our attention to Libya has been going on in recent months and I am still in these days and in direct contact with the main Libyan representatives, GNA HEAD al-Sarraj and Marshal Haftar, as well as with the other parties in the internal political arena.”
Conti stressed that the Italian Embassy in Tripoli “will continue to operate and our interests on the ground are equally protected, we naturally monitor the security conditions in the country every hour.”
Diplomats said Italy had been “disappointed by the French veto within the European Union that prevented naming Marshal Haftar in a statement that was being planned.”
But despite the inflammatory statements by Interior Minister Silvini, Deputy Prime Minister Luigi de Mayo, who belongs to the same party of Defense Minister Elisabetta Trenta, “five stars” served to calm down. “We will not be dragged into an act we are compelled to. We do not make mistakes of the past.”