InternationalLNANationalnewsPoliticsTerrorism

Libyan Forces Fighting for the Capital Disavow Extremists

The Address | Benghazi – Libya

The United Nations-backed government in Libya sought on Saturday to reassure its Western supporters by distancing itself from terrorists and extremists, the New York Times reported.

Some fighters with extremist ties or who have been targeted by United Nations sanctions have said this week that they were joining the Libyan government’s fight against an attack by a militia leader.

The government said Saturday it “strongly denies the allegations that among our ranks there are fighters who belong to terrorist organizations.”

But several fighters with extremist ties or under United Nations sanctions have also said they are joining the battle against General Hifter.

Among them is the warlord Salah Badi, who has previously allied with Islamist extremists and who is under United Nations sanctions for undermining stability. Also joining the fray is Brigade Defend Benghazi, which largely absorbed an earlier coalition that included a militia under United Nations sanctions as a terrorist organization.

The militia it included was Ansar al-Shariah, whose fighters played a major role in the attack on a United States diplomatic compound that killed Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens in 2012.

Ziad Bellam, a brigade leader who also fought against General Hifter in Benghazi, said in an online video last week that he was returning to the battle in Tripoli to avenge a deceased leader of Ansar al-Shariah and other comrades considered extremists.

Western governments have almost universally condemned General Hifter’s advance on the capital, which upended United Nations efforts to negotiate a solution to the Libyan fighting.

But the European Union said Thursday that its members “express their concern at the involvement of terrorist and criminal elements in the fighting, including individuals listed by the U.N. Security Council.”

The New York Times also reported on Friday about extremists and others under United Nations sanctions rushing into the fight against General Hifter.

In an apparent response to that report and the European Union, the government in Tripoli said Saturday that it “was and still is fighting terrorism and hunting down its remnants.”

The government argued on Saturday that it was General Hifter’s attack that had “opened the road to the reactivation of the terrorist sleeper cells that are waiting for the opportunity.”

Tags

Related Articles

Close