The Address | Benghazi – Libya
SABHA – The so-called South Protection Force, a military force affiliated with the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA), has claimed responsibility for the attack on Tamanhint airbase on Thursday morning.
The South Protection Force, led by GNA-appointed commander Ali Kanna, claimed responsibility for the attack in a statement released after the attack.
A video obtained by The Address showed that South Protection Force used African mercenaries, most likely to be fighters of Chadian armed rebel groups, to carry out the attack.
Chairman of the High Council of State, Khaled Al-Mishri, has hailed the attack during a press conference in Tunisia.
GNA had issued an order to allocate two billion Libyan dinars for militias fighting against the Libyan National Army (LNA).
LNA managed to repel the assault on the Tamanhint airbase near Sabha, the main city in Libya’s south, two eastern military officials said.
The attack resulted in the killing of an LNA solider at the base’s main gate, one official said.
LNA took control of Tamanhint air base last year following a successful military operation in the southern region.