Nationalnews

Two medical workers killed yesterday in Tripoli, UN spokesman

The Address | Benghazi – Libya

TRIPOLI – Two more medical workers have died while on duty in the clashes in Tripoli bringing the total of health personnel killed in the conflict to six, United Nations spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said in a press briefing on Friday.

“Our humanitarian colleagues in Libya are deeply concerned by the deaths of two more first responders in the line of duty yesterday, when two clearly-marked armored ambulance vehicles were struck by shelling in Tripoli,” Dujarric told reporters. “This brings the number of health workers killed since the start of the current clashes to six, with seven more injured.”

Dujarric explained that one doctor was killed when the first ambulance was hit by shelling, while another paramedic died when a second ambulance was struck trying to recover victims of the first attack.

Fourteen ambulances had been destroyed or damaged and two medical facilities struck by shelling since the beginning of the latest clashes, Dujarric said.

Tags

Related Articles

Close