The Address | Benghazi – Libya
GENEVA – U.N. Secretary General Antonio Guterres on Tuesday called the situation in Libya a “scandal” even as his envoy cited a “genuine will” by rival military factions as they planned their first meeting to secure a lasting ceasefire.
“I am deeply frustrated with what’s happening in Libya,” Guterres said in a press conference in which he was critical of countries that last month met in Berlin to push for progress in Libya peace talks.
“They committed not to interfere in the Libyan process and they committed not to send weapons or participate in any way in the fighting,” Guterres said at the United Nations headquarters in New York. “The truth is that the Security Council (arms) embargo remains violated.”
He called the mediation efforts of U.N. envoy to Libya Ghassan Salame “the only good news” there.