The Address | Benghazi – Libya
TRIPOLI – Militias allied with the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA) targeted residential neighborhoods in Qasr Bin Ghashir once again with indiscriminate shells, in a new violation of the January 12 ceasefire.
“Dozens of indiscriminate shells target populated areas in Qasr Bin Ghashir area, in continuous violation of the ceasefire by the terrorist gangs,” said the spokesman of the General Command of the Libyan National Army (LNA), General Brigadier Ahmed al-Mesmari.
Al-Mesmari stated, on Wednesday, that “terrorist gangs led by Turks terrorized civilians in the outskirts of Tripoli with heavy weapons from several locations inside the capital.”
Since April last year, the LNA, led by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, has been battling militias allied with GNA. These militias have been the main source of chaos and instability in the capital since the overthrow of late dictator Muammar Gaddafi in 2011.
Russia brokered a ceasefire between the warring parties in January 12. Shortly afterwards, Germany organized a peace conference on Libya in Berlin on January 19 in a bid to kick-start political dialogue in the North African country. It was attended by global powers and regional stakeholders who called for a ceasefire and pledged to uphold the UN arms embargo.
However, fighting resumed soon after the Berlin meeting ended, dashing hopes of a ceasefire. The UN has said “several” countries that participated in the conference subsequently shipped foreign fighters, advanced weapons and armored vehicles to Libyan groups.