The Address | Benghazi – Libya
TRIPOLI – The World Health Organization (WHO) urged the Libyan health authorities to “remain vigilant” in the face of threat posed by COVID-19, warning that Libya “has not yet reached the peak of infection”.
“Now is not the time to lower our guard,” said Elizabeth Hoff, WHO Representative in Libya, in a statement released on Saturday. “The low numbers being reported must not lull us into a false sense of security. Libya is in the early stages of the pandemic and has not yet reached the peak of infection. Until testing becomes more widespread, it will be impossible to ascertain the extent and geographical spread of the disease.”
So far, Libya has laboratory-tested 1802 specimens for the presence of COVID-19. Out of a total of 61 confirmed patients, 2 have died, 18 have recovered and the remainder are still under treatment. Tripoli accounts for most cases (46), followed by Misurata (10), Benghazi (4) and Surman (1).
Hoff said that the key public health measures to tackle COVID-19 were the same in every country: track, test and treat. Patients with confirmed COVID-19 must be isolated, contacts traced, and measures to prevent the disease must continue. While some countries in western Europe are seeing a stabilization or decline in numbers, others are beginning to see a resurgence of cases. Africa, at the beginning of the pandemic, is witnessing an upward trend.