The Address | Benghazi – Libya
BENGHAZI – A number of platforms on social media have released new satellite footage showcasing the scale of destruction caused by Sunday air attack on Turkish Hawk air defense systems in Libya’s Al-Watiya base.
OSINT Editor website posted on Twitter a picture of Al-Watiya base on July 4th, before the attack, and compared it with a new picture on July 6th.
Eastern area seems unaffected by the air attack last Sunday, while the south western area Turkish air defense system were deployed looks hit, OSINT Editor said.
Better sat pictures from today from Al-Watiya Air Base. Eastern area seems unaffected by July 5 attack, while the south western area where @obretix revealed new systems being deployed looks hit. #OSINT #Libya pic.twitter.com/d1NXawv9f3
— OSINT Editor – Community powered (@osinteditor) July 8, 2020
The Libyan National Army (LNA), led by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, has claimed responsibility for the Sunday attack on the Turkish air defense systems.
In a statement to the Libyan Address Journal, an informed military source stated that the Libyan National Army air force has targeted the Hawk systems deployed by Turkish forces in separate areas inside the al-Watiya, which covers an area of fifty square kilometers.
Ankara established a military foothold in Libya after signing a security agreement with the Tripoli-based Government National Accord (GNA) last year. As part of the agreement, Turkish troops as well as Ankara-backed Syrian mercenaries were deployed to back GNA in an effort fight LNA in western Libya.
A Turkish source told Reuters last month that Turkey was in talks with the GNA to establish two bases in Libya, one of them at Watiya, the most important airbase in western Libya.